Sunday 23 December 2012

An Unevenlemming Christmas

So here it is Merry Christmas.... OK not quite but there's not long to go, my advent calender is nearly empty and I'm only less than 24 hours left before my 6 day holiday begins (and the nation finally takes a collective sigh of relief that for another year, it's all over).

Before I take a couple days break and start on the merry-go-round of going round to see all the in-laws/family - Here's my thoughts on Christmas from my side of the screen (With thanks to Nikki Etc for the twitter tag)


1. What is your favourite thing about Christmas ?

There just seems to be a different feeling around Christmas time, I really can't explain it. I like the decorations, cards, and thinking about the presents to get everyone. I like to put as much thought as I can behind it, as well as reflect on why we celebrate this time of year.

2. What is your favourite make up look for festive the season?

Yes I follow the cliche of red, I like red nails and red lips for the Christmas parties. For the day itself I keep it simple and relaxed - smart pair jeans with a jumper. It is a day off after all!

3. Real tree or fake tree?

This year I have none, yes you read that right this year we have no tree. We were due to move but as we started to move delays came up and the tree is at the other place. My TV stand is a my supplement with all my cards around it as well as red and gold tinsel. I normally have a black fake tree with blue and silver. My parents fake tree is nearly 40 years old!

4. Giving presents or receiving presents?

I like thinking of different and new ideas for presents, so I' certainly a giver. I also make presents as well as buy and make it as personal as I can. This year money is extremely tight so I've used my own skills to make my own gifts including a set of nail art done of fake nails to give to one of my family (who doesn't read this!)

5. Do you open presents Christmas morning or eve / evening

I used to do my 'Santa' presents in the morning and then after lunch do ones from my family. My stocking was opened as soon as I could sneak it into my room. Now I'm a little older, it's husband's after breakfast (another family tradition from my side so I had something to eat and not just chocolate!), then the morning is my family as they go out for lunch, before eating at in laws and presents from them.

6. Handmade Christmas cards or bought?

Brought and even then I haven't sent many out as stamps are really expensive this year. I normally do them for people I don't see often and this year I've even sent some to other bloggers.

7. What is your favourite Christmas film?

Santa Clause The Movie with Dudley Moore. When I was younger they always had this and The Snowman on Christmas Eve (I'm looking forward to The Snowman and The Snowdog :D), once it was finished I was sent to bed to wait for Santa. I have it on DVD now, but I still watch it on Christmas Eve before bed, I am still a big kid at heart.

8. What's your favourite Christmas food?

I do like a good piece of Stollen, a German fruit and marzipan cake dusted with icing sugar. Mince pies can be a mixed bag, my father in law has made 9 dozen of his version this year!

9. What's your favourite Christmas song?

I like Fairytale of New York by The Pogues, however for the time of year it can be a little depressing. I do like The Darkness, Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End or A bit of Cliff with Mistletoe and Wine (I dare you not to sing along after a post dinner Baileys!)

10. What's your favourite Christmas memory?

They've all be very good and relaxed but my first married Christmas, I was getting over the flu and husband had the start, either of us could not eat and just sat on the sofa trying to get the other to make a cuppa (At least it got us out of the family visits).

I must admit this year I'm looking forward to getting more than one day off like previous years, the joys of not being in retail anymore. For everyone who is I hope you have a good break not matter how small.









2 comments:

Please feel free to leave messages, suggestions and general musings on life below. All comments are moderated before posting. Thank you